Thursday, November 17, 2011

Found one!

From July 2005 to July 2008, the Sloan Digital Sky Survey photographed the same region of space every other night searching for supernovas. Computers identified the likeliest candidates, astronomers confirmed the discoveries, and an army of so-called “citizen scientists” combed through the data posted online looking for stuff the computers had missed.
     Which I suppose is all well and good for the advancement of astronomy, but I certainly hope, should our sun ever blow up, that humanity is spared the indignity of having its last moments witnessed 52-million years later by some extraterrestrial nerd surfing the Internet in his underpants.

22 comments:

  1. haha....wouldnt that be something....just sitting watching us burn....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha, this was great and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Priceless! Love it, thanks for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ending:

    "spared the indignity of having its last moments witnessed 52-million years later by some extraterrestrial nerd surfing the Internet in his underpants."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, come on what's wrong with underpants? Great fun here, and I especially liked the astronomy in addition to the humor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL!!! Loved the post and your perspective. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the way you think! Great FIND!
    Mine is here
    Have you a ROCKING AND WEEK!!!
    hugs
    shakira

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating! I remember as a student teacher teaching the development of astronomy - lovedit!

    Denise ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  9. In your underpants is the best way to learn astronomy! I should know - my post this week is on astronomy, too.

    Chris H
    ABC Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  10. At least they may not be out in the yard stargazing in their underpants! Wait,in my neighborhood that is only a maybe. It really is awesome that we can do this whatever we wear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too funny! Yeah, I guess my Fundamentalist sis isn't the only one who will see me "burn"! Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.com/2012/08/24/music-in-mind-thanks-to-my-fan/

    ReplyDelete
  12. A friend once told me he was fascinated by the stars - he watched them all day! Day?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both interesting and very clever in it's ending!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The "Three Big I Award": innovative, imaginative, intriguing.

    ReplyDelete

AddThis Widget (for sharing)

Crazy Egg (Analytics)