Saturday, August 3, 2013

Corn Queen

This week I worked on the Kettle Point reserve and stayed overnight in Sarnia. Since I’m directionally-challenged, finding my hotel became an Escheresque exercise of tootling, asking for help, doubling back and asking again. Yet, I didn’t mind because I was almost home. Lambton County isn’t much different from Tecumseh, and I’d forgotten what it all smelled like: The cornfields, the humidity, the freshly-cut grass. When Kathy and I sold Peaches and Cream from the back of her mom’s truck down on Manning Road we charged a buck a dozen. Thirty-five years later it goes for $5. Still a deal.
Image from tecumseh.ca

1 comment:

  1. Google tells me that the city named that particular anthropomorphized cob Nibby, thereby creating yet another in a long line of mascots devised to ease my conscience as I devour their brethren. They are traitors, every one!

    ReplyDelete

AddThis Widget (for sharing)

Crazy Egg (Analytics)