Monday, June 28, 2010

Eyes of a Stranger

Last night came the pictures of the cops rounding up protestors en masse at Queen and Spadina. The word was they had identified suspects in the crowd from Saturday’s protests, but it came out today that they were simply arresting everyone in particular areas around the city, running them through a scanner, and using facial-recognition software against the photos they’d taken the day before . . . except that the bad guys, the Black Bloc anarchists they’d spent the entire week warning us about had all worn masks, and I don’t like the odds that I might have the eyes of a stranger.

Photo © 2007 by Sarolta Bán.

12 comments:

  1. Yes, who can identify people in mask... Nice one Sir Roy!

    JJRod'z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb!

    And also has the makings of an excellent story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very unsettling; who would want the eyes of a stranger indeed? An unusual take on the prompt,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like you have been there, done that. I was in a dust up like that in 1971.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done. Loved reading this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this def has a futurist or blade runner feel to it...and what happens when they get it wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like!

    Wander

    http://wanderwithoutbeinglost.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was there that day. As is my habit, I go from Rochester to TO regularly to visit friends. Crossing the bridge at Lewiston/Queenston the Canadian immigration officer asked if I was going to protest. Protest WHAT, I had asked him. He told me about the G20 and I said that I couldn't care less. Anyway, I also am at Queen and Spadina regularly since there are a couple of favorite eating places I go there. Luckily I missed this scene. I'm shocked at the photo: Canada loves to proclaim itself so tolerant and above the haughty Yanks. What, I wonder is the real difference?? It's a chilling photo, write, and thought.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kind of disturbing. And intriguing, too.

    =)

    ReplyDelete

AddThis Widget (for sharing)

Crazy Egg (Analytics)