Thursday, June 3, 2010

In the Year 2000

I wrote my very first piece of Science Fiction in Grade 6, and remember exactly how it began.
     “In the year 2000, I will be 39 years old.”
     And that’s exactly all I can remember, probably because the very idea of ever being that old just blew my prepubescent mind, and the inevitability of actually growing up and having money and freedom and pubic hair trumped the mere possibility of jet cars and video phones.
     It’s also because Miss Hudson liked my composition so much that she made everyone write one, and most of them began exactly the same way.
Psychedelic Phone Booth
Photo by Sean Mahoney.

7 comments:

  1. I can remember wanting to die before I reached thirty - couldn't imagine being that old!

    Glad I didn't.

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember as a child working out how old I would be at the millenium. There was always a rider - "if I live till then." Now I wish I could start living backwards to 2000!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nicely done...thanks for sharing your words

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what it would be like to write one of those now, only starting with 'in the year 2050 I will be 89'...?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Money and freedom and pubic hair...indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! My father died at the age of 46 .. I couldn't imagine living longer than he did. You can guess how thrilled I was to get through that one! I'm 70 - no more wondering - just glad to be here.

    ReplyDelete

AddThis Widget (for sharing)

Crazy Egg (Analytics)