Sunday, May 22, 2022

Vive la Même Chose

My DNA results were curious. Mostly Spanishy with a titillating 4% Turkish. This was 2016. Timely, as it saved me from Boydenesque embarrassment. Never again would I repeat (with caveats) our family’s «Grand-mère Zepherine était indignée» story. But then they sent an update. Ninety-four percent French Canadian. NINETY-FOUR PERCENT. Generations of snogging Habitants, lumberjacks, spade-welding Welland canalers, bootleggers and the women who made their bail. They all contributed to Barely Bilingual Me. No Basque whalers, Ottoman anarchists, nor clan mothers. A predictable tête de couchon of sameness. But just maybe, some Viking-Pirate made up that vestigial 1% Dane?
Image of Me from Ancestry.com. Inspired by One Copes.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, those results can be great fun. I discovered that I am a Viking, with an Iberian and North African heritage.

    ReplyDelete

AddThis Widget (for sharing)

Crazy Egg (Analytics)