Sunday, January 28, 2024

La Vache Qui Rit

Back in my card-carrying PETA undergrad, I played a rainy-day game called “Splash the Bunny”. I’d drive my Dodge Dart dangerously close to someone wearing a fur coat and tsunami the hell out of them.
But why? Was it rebellion against my French-Canadian roots? Or because my dad trapped muskrat and raised greyhounds for the Florida circuit? Residual guilt over that kippered bathmat that was once a Reitman’s fox jacket? I don’t know why I did these things, but I did, and afterwards I’d sink my sophomoric arse into our leather chair and chew a cheese sandwich with quiet complacency.

Inspired by Snow, Slush, and Honour. Photo by Laurie Leclair.

4 comments:

  1. But was it REAL cheese or the kind you’d have to peel out of a piece of crispy cellophane?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about this the other day, how you'd always swerve towards the bunny-coats girls when you were driving us to school!! How about a riff on "hold 'de door"!!!

    ReplyDelete

AddThis Widget (for sharing)

Crazy Egg (Analytics)