Sunday, October 16, 2011

Midnight in Bangkok

He staggers through the teeming crowd, drunk but thankful to be out in the open. The Cage aux Folles had been a mistake. He had been repulsed by the clichéd floorshow, a can-can performed by look-alike dancers. Boy, girl, it was impossible to tell, but the hungry-eyed tourists ate them up. The real action was at the dimly-lit tables, in the curtained recesses, upstairs. Now, out on the street, hawkers, whores, everyone is selling something. He pauses to look through a brightly illuminated window; inside, a macabre line of fowl, and through a gap, a pair of knowing black eyes.

Image from Ursula’s Weekly Wanders. For other writing inspired by this image, visit Magpie Tales.

12 comments:

  1. See how much he would have missed, if he'd stayed in. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge fan of the musical "Chess" and the song "One Night In Bangkok" .. your Magpie has captured the essence of that amazing piece of music!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not see Yaowarat when I passed through Bangkok on the way to Dacca, East Pakistan. (Dhaka, Bangladesh) That was a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evocative write...I could smell the air...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very evocative, indeed-- nice use of the present tense in this piece to convey immediacy-- thanks for visiting me. In re your comment on my blog of course the sound pattern varies in triangulate which I am using as the advjective and would be pronounced -lut-- and the same holds true of profligate-- gut--. Are you familiar with my work? I'd love to follow yours. xxxj

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice...you capture many of the textures of what makes the place...

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing what you created from this photo prompt..I love it..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha. The ducks seem to be doing their own version of the "can can".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent take on the image and the superposition of the night club with the restaurant is very appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "The hungry eyed tourists ate them up" I love the allegory there...

    Cheers,
    Arnab Majumdar on SribbleFest.com

    ReplyDelete

AddThis Widget (for sharing)

Crazy Egg (Analytics)