Sunday, July 10, 2011

July

July was unprecedented in its harmony, the summer I turned 17. I returned from a six-day bike tour with Andrew Brouse to Point Pelee and back to find among a week’s worth of mail the first great report card I’d ever received. I landed my first summer job, mornings only, in an air-conditioned school. I had a fun computer project I was determined to finish by summer’s end. And although I didn’t yet know it, during our family vacation, I would somehow convince my mother to let me stay an extra week to finish my leadership training, on my own.
The narrow-chested author on Point Pelee, the southernmost
point of the Canadian mainland, 1978.

13 comments:

  1. For the month of July, the members of Exquisite Corpse are writing 100 words a day on each letter of the alphabet in turn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also one of our members introduced the additional obligation that each of our "J" entries begin with the same phrase. You can out the entire harmonious collection in the archive.

      Delete
  2. Sweet Memories.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great memories! How nice you can look back on such a wonderful summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photo. I was born in July but typically hate the hot summers so never really loved July... Beautiful photo, wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, a job AND freedom from parents! Perfect! Have a jolly week,

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  6. The southern most point of the Canadian mainland? Would that be south of St. Paul?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really look like you loved that summer, great memory for you.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to the canadian Southern tip in ontario, some how I couldn't rememebr it was Pt pelee. Soemthing stuck in my brain for 35 years, it began with S. I even have the same photo as you.

    ReplyDelete

AddThis Widget (for sharing)

Crazy Egg (Analytics)